Whole Wheat Chocolate Peppermint Drop Cookies
Nothing says winter quite like chocolate and peppermint! But no one would ever guess that this indulgent recipe uses whole-wheat flour for a healthier spin on everyone’s favorite winter flavors.
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candy
- 36 whole peppermint candy melts (Wilton), optional
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 8-10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly grease two cookie sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs and vanilla, beating until smooth.
- Stir in the cocoa and flour. The dough will be sticky. Mix in the chocolate chips and crushed peppermint candy.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving 1 ½-inch between each drop.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until cookies are set. Remove from oven. If desired, place a whole peppermint candy in the center of each cookie.
Note: cookies will be very soft coming out of the oven, but will firm up as they cool on the cookie sheet.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.
One cookie provides approximately 136 calories; 2 g protein; 20 g carbohydrate; 2 g dietary fiber; 6 g fat (3g saturated); 18 mg cholesterol; 7 mcg folate; 3 mg iron and 84 mg sodium.