This easy squeezy homemade ice cream recipe will delight all ages! It's a fun recipe for kids to make; just be sure to have plenty of paper towels on hand. Enjoy it on a hot summer day (or anytime, we won't judge) and top with fresh fruit, chocolate syrup or whatever tickles your fancy!
For Ice Cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon salt (for freezing process)
- Small re-sealable plastic bag
- Large re-sealable plastic bag
- Put sugar, vanilla, and milk into small plastic bag. Remove as much air as possible from the bag and properly seal. Put salt into large plastic bag. Drop the small bag into the large plastic bag with salt in it. Add 18-20 ice cubes. Remove as much air as possible from the large bag and properly seal. Knead the bag for approximately 10 minutes, making sure ice in the larger bag surrounds the smaller bag.
- When a soft ice cream is formed, remove small bag from large bag, open and eat right out of bag with a plastic spoon. For extra fun, add fresh seasonal fruit or other favorite ice cream toppings.
Note: It's important to use whole milk. Other types of milk take too long to freeze. You can add one pint of half and half to a gallon of milk. This makes the ice cream richer and freezes faster. Salt is also very important. Without it, the ice cream will not freeze.