Raspberry Crumb Bars
With sweet dough, tart raspberries and a crumbly texture, this recipe for raspberry crumb bars will become an instant favorite!
On a specialized diet? This recipe works well for folks following a plant-based (vegetarian) diet — and, of course, omnivores! (If you're vegan, consider using an egg sustitute to enjoy.)
- 1-1/2 cup white sugar (separated)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
- 4 cups fresh raspberries
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour and baking powder. Mix in salt and cinnamon, if desired.
- Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the shortening and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into pan for the crust.
- In another bowl, stir together the remaining sugar (1/2 cup) and cornstarch. Gently mix in the raspberries. Sprinkle the raspberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble the remaining dough over the berry layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
This recipe was provided courtesy of Nutrients for Life who teach us that all great recipes start with great ingredients, and great indegredients come from healthy, fertilized soil. Read the original recipe here.