This is a great dish with lovely textures!
- 1 cup Nu Life Market Pearled Sorghum Grain
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Black Pepper
- 2 ripe avocados (halved & scooped out)
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 10 grape or cherry tomatoes (halved or quartered)
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Sauté the onions and red bell peppers in 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat until golden brown. Set aside.
- Combine the broth, pearled sorghum, green chiles, garlic and black beans in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Add sautéed onion and red bell pepper mixture and cook for an additional hour. (If you want your sorghum to have a softer texture, cook an additional 15 minutes.) Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, combine the avocado, garlic, oil, lime juice and cilantro. Using a fork or wooden spoon, mash the avocado to your desired consistency. Add in tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Spoon the sorghum mixture into the bowls and top with a generous portion of the avocado sauce.