Looking for a refreshing recipe for spring? You can't go wrong with this layered salad full of tastes and textures!
On a specialized diet? You can customize this recipe so it works well for anyone following a plant-based (vegetarian if you skip the bacon), gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, low-fat or DASH diet — and, of course, omnivores!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- In a large glass trifle dish, layer half of the first five ingredients (lettuce to peas); top with half of the cheddar cheese and bacon, then half of the prepared dressing.
- Position the cucumber slices on their sides flat against the edge of the trifle dish.
- Repeat the layering of ingredients, adding the dried cranberries to the top of the salad with the cheese and bacon.
- Refrigerate the salad, covered, overnight or for eight to 10 hours. Salad can also be layered into a 9x13 casserole dish instead of the trifle dish.