Grilled Steak and Watermelon Salad
This mouth-watering recipe brings two classic summer favorites — grilled steak and watermelon — together in one delicious meal. The red onions and feta add some zip to keep your taste buds happy.
On a specialized diet? This recipe works well for folks following a gluten-free or low-fat diet — and, of course, omnivores!
- 4 beef tenderloin steaks, cut 1 inch thick (about 4 to 5 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 slices seedless baby watermelon, 1 inch thick (about 1 pound each)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 cups baby arugula or spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat balsamic or Italian dressing
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Combine coriander and cumin; press evenly onto beef steaks.
- Place steaks in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals; arrange watermelon slices around steak. Grill steaks, covered, 10 to 14 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 11 to 15 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill watermelon 2 to 4 minutes or until grill marks form, turning once.
- Carve steaks into slices. Cut each watermelon slice into 6 wedges. Season steaks and watermelon with salt and pepper, as desired. Combine arugula and dressing in large bowl; toss to coat. Divide arugula among four serving plates. Arrange steak and watermelon on salad; top evenly with tomatoes, onion and cheese.