The decadence of an apple pie in a crisp, refreshing salad? Yes, please! The rich, creamy dressing offsets the bright flavors of the apples and cranberries, with some nutty crunch thrown in for good measure.
On a specialized diet? This recipe works well for folks following a plant-based (vegetarian) diet — and, of course, omnivores!
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar (You can substitute your favorite sweetener and adjust the amount to taste.)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 pounds of your favorite apples (Jonathon, Pink Lady, Gala, Jazz, Honeycrisp or a combination of varieties work well), skin on, cored and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl until light and fluffy. Fold in the sour cream and vanilla, gently stirring by hand until smooth. Chill the dressing until you are ready to serve the salad.
- Place the chopped apples into a large serving bowl along with half of the walnuts and cranberries. Top with the prepared cream cheese dressing, tossing to coat all the ingredients evenly.
- Sprinkle the remaining walnuts and cranberries over the top and chill. The salad is best served within 3-4 hours for best flavor and texture.