Beefed Up Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
These grown-up grilled cheese sandwiches are sure to satisfy. The roast beef adds a hearty dimension to the gooey, cheesy goodness.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 packet Au Jus seasoning mix
- 3 Tbs. unsalted butter, very softened
- 8 slices good-quality white bread
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 lb. shredded cooked roast beef
- Caramelized onions
- French fried onions
- To make the onions and dipping sauce, place a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat; when skillet is hot, add butter.
- When butter has melted, add onions; cook for three to five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and brown sugar, stir and cook five to six minutes or until onions have softened.
- Remove half of cooked onions to a plate; set aside and reserve.
- Reduce heat to medium; add worcestershire sauce and beef broth to the remaining onions in the skillet. Stir and cook two to three minutes; add the au jus mix, cooking until sauce thickens. Transfer sauce to a bowl; reserve.
- Wipe skillet clean and place over medium heat. Slather four slices of bread with butter on one side, then place bread buttered-side-down onto a cutting board.
- To each slice of bread, add a slice of cheese, roast beef, caramelized onions, a sprinkling of French fried onions, then top with a second slice of cheese and another bread slice, buttered-side-up.
- Cook sandwiches in the skillet, slightly pressing on each sandwich, until both sides are golden brown and sandwiches are hot throughout. (May need to cook sandwiches in batches.)
- Remove sandwiches from skillet and slice in half. Serve with prepared dipping sauce.