These delicious rolls have a sweet taste. Make them using sweet potatoes or pumpkins—the choice is yours!
- 1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potatoes or pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 package RED STAR® Active Dry Yeast
- 1 ¼ cups lukewarm water (110-115°F)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 ¼ - 5 ½ cups bread flour
- In large mixing bowl, blend lukewarm (110°F) sweet potatoes or pumpkin together with margarine.
- Dissolve yeast in water and stir into bowl. Add egg, salt, and sugar. Blend, gradually adding 4 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, 10 to 12 minutes. Be careful not to add extra flour! (The dough will be sticky.) Place dough in a greased bowl and turn to grease top.* Cover and let rise in warm place until double.
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Shape as desired. Cover and let rise in warm place until double.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven 15 to 16 minutes, or until golden.
*Note: You can cover and refrigerate the dough at this step if you want to bake it later. Punch down whenever it doubles in size. Use within 2 days. To use, keep covered and let dough reach room temperature. Then proceed with directions above.