These wholesome energy bites are perfect for delicious and nutritious snacks on the go.
On a specialized diet? This recipe works well for folks following a plant-based (vegetarian), paleo, keto, gluten-free, dairy-free, low-carb, low-fat or DASH diet — and, of course, omnivores!
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1/3 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 cup sunflower butter or substitute any nut or seed butter
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds, plus more for coating
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Soak dates in warm water for 5-10 minutes until soft and able to mash easily. Drain water.
- In bowl use masher to blend dates to a paste. There will still be larger pieces in the paste.
- Add in sunflower butter, coconut flakes, honey, chia seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg, and mix well.
- Fill a small shallow bowl with chia seeds. Scooped a rounded tablespoon of paste and roll into a ball using your hands.
- Repeat with remaining paste. Let bites chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.