Barbecue and biscuits—you can’t go wrong with this winning combination!
- 1 beef tri-tip roast (1 ½ pounds)
- 1 cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 18 baked low-fat buttermilk biscuits (about 2 to 2 ½-inch diameter), split
- ¾ cup crushed corn tortilla chips or homemade tortilla strips
Combine barbecue sauce and chipotle peppers. Reserve ¾ cup sauce mixture. Brush some of remaining sauce mixture onto all sides of roast.
Place roast on grid over medium, ash-covered coals or over medium heat on preheated gas grill. Grill, covered, 25 to 35 minutes for medium rare (135°F) to medium (150°F) doneness, basting roast with remaining sauce while grilling and turning occasionally.
To prepare slaw, combine coleslaw mix, bell pepper, green onions, dressing and cilantro in medium bowl. Toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare or 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
Carve roast across the grain into thin slices. Toss with reserved ¾ cup sauce.
Evenly divide beef slices, coleslaw and tortilla strips among biscuits. Close sandwiches.