A rib roast is a delicious and easy way to impress your guests around the holiday table. The horseradish sauce in this recipe adds a great note to this favorite classic dish.
- 1 beef ribeye roast bone-in (2 to 4 ribs), small end, chine (back) bone removed (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1 large fresh fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground mixed peppercorns (black, white, green and pink)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh fennel bulb
- 3 tablespoons finely grated fresh horseradish
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh fennel fronds
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350° F. Combine seasoning ingredients and press evenly onto all surfaces of the beef roast.
- Place roast, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover.
- Roast in 350° F oven for 2 ¼ to 2 ½ hours for medium rare or 2 ½ to 3 hours for medium doneness.
- Meanwhile, prepare horseradish sauce. Beat cream in medium bowl just until soft peaks form. Do not overbeat. Add fennel bulb, horseradish, fennel fronds and salt. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare or 145° F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board. Tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10-15° F to reach 145° F for medium rare or 160° F for medium.)
- Carve roast into slices and season with salt, as desired. Serve with horseradish sauce and roasted fennel, if desired.