Want to try a homecooked meal featuring Kansas-produced foods? We think you'll love this pizza recipe! It's a family favorite for the Pachecos of Wabaunsee County. They love making it as a family almost as much as they love eating it!
Basic Pizza Dough
- 1 ounce fresh yeast or 2 – 1/4-ounce packages active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- About 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Beef Italian Sausage
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 pound beef
Individual Meat-Lovers Pizza
- 1 pizza crust (ingredients above)
- 1/2 pound Italian beef sausage recipe (ingredients above)
- Pepperoni slices
- 1 Italian sausage link, diced
- 1/2 onion, caramelized
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 16-ounce block Mozzarella cheese
For the Pizza Dough
- Place the yeast in a small bowl. Add the sugar and half the water and stir until dissolved. Set aside until creamy, about 15 minutes.
- Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the yeast mixture and enough of the remaining water to obtain a fairly firm dough. With either a dough hook on your mixer, or by hand, knead the dough for seven to 10 minutes until the dough is firm and no longer sticks to your hands or bowl. Place the ball of kneaded dough in an oiled bowl and cover with a cloth. Set aside to rise. The dough should double in volume, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
For the Sausage
- Make the Italian beef sausage by seasoning the beef with the spices and brown in skillet. While cooking, break the meat up gently and leave in bigger crumbles.
For Individual Meat-Lover Pizzas
- While the meat is browning, preheat the oven to 550 F.
- Slice the onion and place in a skillet on low with olive oil to caramelize.
- Place the can of tomato sauce in a small saucepan and add your pesto. Let simmer.
- Grate the cheese.
- Once all toppings are prepped, start rolling out your pizza dough. If using a homemade crust, do this by placing cornmeal on your pizza pan so it doesn’t stick.
- Once the dough is ready to go, it is time to build your pizza.
- First, place the sauce on the dough and then top with a layer of cheese.
- Next, add the onions and meat evenly over the entire pizza.
- Lastly, add another layer of cheese to keep all your toppings in place.
- Place your pizza in a 550-degree oven and let bake for 12-15 minutes.