We love whole grains year-round. What’s not to love?! They’re rich in:
- B vitamins like niacin, thiamin and folate
- Essential minerals like iron, zinc and magnesium
They also have many health benefits. Whole grains can:
- Lower your risk of heart disease
- Lower your risk of stroke
- Improve your digestion
- Lower your risk of Type 2 diabetes
- Reduce your risk of cancer
- Reduce your risk of obesity
See? Lots of reasons to dig in. We’re especially excited there’s a whole month devoted to whole grains — September!
So, this month, work as many whole grains into your diet as possible. There are lots to choose from — oats, barley, rye, bulgur, wild rice — but our hearts are fond of the three grains that are big crops here in Kansas: corn, sorghum and wheat. Here’s some inspiration to get you going with grains this month.