This flavor-packed burger is sure to please the hungriest of crowds.
- 1 pound ground geef
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 4 tablespoons barbecue sauce, divided
- 4 slices white Cheddar, pepper Jack, smoked Gouda or provolone cheese
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns or pretzel rolls, split, toasted
- Lettuce leaves, tomato slices and red onion slices
- Combine Ground Beef, onion and 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. About 1 minute before burgers are done, brush with remaining 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce and top with cheese.
- Line bottom half of each bun with lettuce leaves, tomato and red onion slices, as desired; top with burger. Close sandwiches and enjoy!
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness, so make sure you use a meat thermometer!