Did someone say snack time? How about craft time? You don't have to choose! This easy recipe is one the kids will love helping with. They’re torta-licious!
Soy Flour Blend
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup soy flour
- 2½ to 3 cups soy flour blend
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 (¼ ounce) package fast-rising dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130° F)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Green food coloring paste
- Combine 1 ½ cups soy flour blend, sugar, yeast and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Add water and vegetable oil; mix to blend well.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead by hand on lightly floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes OR place in mixing bowl and use dough hook to knead.
- Add green food coloring paste for desired color and continue mixing with dough hook until color is evenly blended.
- Form a rounded smooth dough ball. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half to make two turtles.
- For each turtle: Form a large egg-sized piece of dough (half of the divided dough) into a smooth ball for the body and place on a lightly greased baking sheet or parchment paper and flatten slightly.
- Add a small piece of rounded dough (other half of remaining divided dough) for head; divide remaining dough into five pieces; round four pieces of dough for the legs and a narrow piece of dough for the tail. Tuck the pieces slightly under the body.
- With kitchen shears make an indention to form the eyes and insert raisins and snip for the mouth and the feet for claws.
- With a serrated knife make shallow cuts lengthwise and crosswise across shell.
- Cover; proof until double. Brush with egg wash if desired [to make egg wash: whisk 1 egg and 1 tablespoon]. Bake at 400° F for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes two turtles.