Happy National Bread Month!
Gently rising steam, a golden-brown crust, a flaky center that melts in your mouth— there’s nothing like a loaf of bread fresh from the oven. Why, the only thing greater is sliced bread!
We certainly don’t need a reason to celebrate the delicious goodness that is bread, but since November is National Bread Month, twist our arms! We’ll take one for the team.
We've pulled together some fun ways to celebrate the staff of life this (and every!) month.
5 Ways to Celebrate National Bread Month
1. Get Up Close and Personal with Wheat
So maybe you can’t channel your inner Julie Andrews and sing and spin with your arms out in the middle of a wheat field in November. But that doesn’t mean you can’t get to know this amber grain a bit better.
- Watch a wheat harvest in action. This beautiful video by Doug Armknecht of Kansas Farm Imagery captures the poetry of harvest at the picturesque LaRosh family farm. It will make you feel like you’re there, Julie Andrews-style.
- If a picture is worth 1,000 words, how can it leave you speechless? These stunning entries from the 2016 Kansas State Fair wheat photography contest will make you see wheat in a whole new light.
- Be inspired by wheat farmers, get recipe ideas, and learn interesting facts. Follow @KSWheat on Instagram and @KansasWheat on Twitter!
2. Visit a Flour Mill
Close your eyes and imagine the feel of soft, powdery flour running through your fingers. Now connect the dots between that and the grain itself by learning how wheat is milled.
- You can go old school and step back in time by visiting the Smoky Valley Roller Mill in Lindsborg. This historic mill is open for tours.
- Or, take a virtual tour! It’s a little less adventurous, but certainly more convenient.
- Take a look inside Farmer Direct Foods flour mill in New Cambria, Kansas, to see wheat transformed into flour and packaged for sale at your local grocery store.
3. Whip Up a Delicious Bread of Your Own
Try your own hand at baking that perfect loaf. Whether you want a classic or something more inventive, we’ve got delicious recipes.
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- Smokehouse Cranberry Cheese Bread
- Rich Italian Bread
- Healthy Homemade Bread
- Sweet Potato or Pumpkin Rolls
- Portuguese Sweet Bread
Head on over to our recipes section for more inspiration!
4. Step Up Your Own Dough Game
Think all you have to do to measure flour is dump it in a cup and call it good? Think again. These simple tips will help your baking rise to the next level.
- This quick video will show you the right (and easy!) way to measure flour.
- Knead some more help? Another quick video will have you working dough like a pro in no time.
Little things can make a big difference in the kitchen. Who knew?!
5. Be Bread-venturous
Brioche. Focaccia. Naan. From flat breads, to fluffy rolls and hearty loaves, even to crispy crackers—there are so many different types of bread to enjoy. So many flavors like rye, sourdough and even pumpkin to tempt the palette. And so many different ways to enjoy them!